Personal security is something a lot of people don’t like thinking or talking about because no one wants to imagine something bad happening to them or their loved ones, but if the worse ever happens you want to be prepared. In this article we will be talking about non lethal devices women can use for self protection.
“An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.”Benjamin Franklin
Before we get in to the “meat and potatoes” of the article (For some of you it might lettuce and carrots!), here are some staggering statistics.
Check out these stats in the US for crimes against women.
According to the YWCA,
- Gender-based violence continues to be a pervasive problem in the United States, with far-reaching consequences.
- Every two minutes another American is sexually assaulted
- Out of every 100 cases of rape, 12 lead to an arrest, 9 are prosecuted, and only 5 lead to a felony conviction
- Less than half of domestic violence incidents are reported to police
- One in three girls is a victim of physical, verbal, or emotional abuse in the United States
- One in four women will experience domestic violence and, on average, more than three women are murdered by their partners in the United States every day
- One of every four homeless women is homeless because of violence committed against her and over 92 percent of homeless mothers have experienced severe physical and/or sexual abuse during their lifetime
- . Victims of domestic violence lose about eight million days of paid work per year because of the violence that they experienced
- .65 percent of all women have experienced street harassment. Among all women, 23 percent have been sexually touched, 20 percent have been followed, and 9 percent have been forced to do something sexual
- .Food service and hospitality workers report the highest levels of sexual harassment in the workplace and often have the least amount of employment protections
The good news is you don’t have to become a statistic. There are security devices out right now that can help you stop an attacker in their tracks without training at a gun range or a martial arts dojo. While these devices may not always look impressive they can be completely devastating to an attacker.
Help yourself or a loved one by being prepared with personal defense and security items.
Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases. For more information, please read our Disclosure page. This Page Contains Affiliate Links. For more information, please read our Disclosure page.
Personal Security Devices
If you’re in a hurry here are the links to the Personal Security Devices discussed in this article. We’ve got more details about why we like them later on in this article.
|Image||Product Name||Price||Check Price|
|InvisaWear Smart Jewelry Line||$$$||Check Price|
|PepperBall LIFELITE Personal Defense Launcher Kit||$$$$||Check Price|
|Sabre Self-Defense Combo Kit |
with Red Pepper Spray and Stun Gun with Flashlight
|BLINGSTING Personal Safety Alarm for Women Purple||$||Check Price|
|Self Defense Keychain Siren||$||Check Price|
|Securityman 2-in-1 Door Security Bar with Alarm & Sliding Door Stopper||$$||Check Price|
|EMDMAK Door Stop Alarm||$||Check Price|
|Lewis N Clark Travel Door Alarm + Window Guard||$||Check Price|
|AXUAN Keychain Multitool||$||Check Price|
|Portable EDC Knuckle Survival Escape Tool||$||Check Price|
Personal GPS Locator: InvisaWear Smart Jewelry Line:
The InvisaWear Smart Jewelry line are wearable pieces of safety. They are essentially personal GPS locators that send an alert to five contacts of your choosing with your location. They also are embedded with the option to contact the police.
To use you just double click the button on the back of the charm.
Here are just a few of the options available.
Also known as “stun guns”. Deliver an electro shock to incapacitate an attacker. The electric shock temporarily disrupts muscle functions and inflicts pain without usually causing significant injury. This is the most lethal of the “non lethal: options.
Pepper spray uses the capsaicin of the pepper. That is to say it uses the spiciness of the pepper to cause irritation of the eyes, pain, burning sensation, and temporary blindness. This would allow you to stun your attacker and get away.
Pepper spray can also be used against animals such as bears. mountain lions, wolves, dogs, etc.
Police forces and prisons have adopted use of this non lethal security device allowing officers to have a leg up against the criminal element.
Pepper Spray Launcher
- 1 LifeLite Launcher,
- 5 Live SD PepperBall Projectiles,
- 10 Inert Practice Projectiles,
- 3 CO2 Cartridges,
- 2 CR123 Batteries
- and 1 Lanyard.
We found this combo kit that includes the stun gun and pepper spray.
Sabre Self-Defense Kit w/Red Pepper Spray & Stun Gun w/Flashlight
- 25 Burst, 10 Foot (3 Meter) Range,
- 1.60 µC Charge,
- 120 Lumens,
- Rechargeable Battery,
- Safety Switch,
- Includes Belt Holster
Personal Alarm Devices
There are many different kinds of these available on the market today. These are small handheld electronic devices that emit a loud siren like alarm sound.
To use them they are activated by button or tag pull. They are used to attract attention in order to scare off an assailant. The sound can also distract or disorient the attacker.
The problem with these type of devices is they can give the owner a false sense of security and therefore place the individual in danger.
For example, if you are in the city, car alarms go off all the time. People ignore this sound. That can happen with a personal alarm as well.
Personal alarms do not offer any real protection. You just have to hope the noise is enough to scare off the attacker or that some passerby notices.
Basically, personal alarms are not our favorite option but they are better than nothing. They are also on the cheaper end of the scale.
BLINGSTING Personal Safety Alarm for Women Purple
- 115 Decibels
- LED Safety Light
- Clips to your favorite purse, backpack, and keys
- No Travel Or Age Requirements
Self Defense Keychain Siren
- Extremely Loud (Farthest Reach up to 1000ft away)
- Equipped with CR2032 battery
- Comes with hook to easily attach the alarm to bags, belts, jackets, keychain etc.
- 130 Decibals
- Flashing Strobe Light
- No Travel Or Age Requirements
Home Door Blocks
While a home security system is something that that is nice to have it can be too expensive.
Luckily there are several styles of door blocks that can be purchased that will help secure your home without being a permanent monthly expense.
These items will not be monitored like a home security system, but will help stop a home invasion or at least make enough noise to alert the home owner and allow them to call for help.
Securityman 2-in-1 Door Security Bar with Alarm & Sliding Door Stopper
- 120db Loud Alert Siren
- interchangeable caps for hinged doors and sliding door/window
- safety bar can be adjusted between 22.25″-43. 7″
- high grade iron to withstand 350 pounds of pressure
EMDMAK Door Stop Alarm
- Can be used as a door stop alarm and door stopper
- Can be used in home and travel.
- 120db alarm
- Note: Battery not include
- NO installation required
Like the door blocks mentioned, window alarms are an easy way to help add added security to your home, apartment, or office without the monthly fees that would come with an alarm company.
While in no means is it 100% secure and safe, it will allow you to sleep a little easier knowing that an alarm will sound if the windows are tampered with.
Lewis N Clark Travel Door Alarm + Window Guard
- 91 DB Alarm
- Stay safe at home and while you travel.
- weighs less than 2 ounces
- Built in LED flashlight
- Includes two button cell batteries
Knuckle Dusters are small hand held devices that attach to a keychain or necklace . They work like brass knuckles. In an emergency, they allow you to use a weapon against your attacker. They will protect your knuckles themselves and allow you to have a much stronger hit than you would normally have.
These devices are legal unlike brass knuckles.
AXUAN Keychain Multitool
Portable EDC Knuckle Survival Escape Tool
While some of these products are better than others in our opinion, all of them can help offer an advantage in a dire situation allowing you a chance to escape an attacker without massive amounts of training.
These are Personal Security Devices Women should have on their person to keep them from becoming a victim of an attack.
Whether you choose one of these devices or another one available on the market please keep your personal safety in mind.
Comments? Suggestions? Questions? Leave a Reply below!
Don’t forget to subscribe to our email list for updates. (Located in the upper right hand corner in the sidebar.)